Want to Quit Smoking?
Start by calling the Washington State Tobacco Quit Line (1-800-QUIT-NOW, 1-877-2NO-FUME in Spanish). When you call the quit line, you'll gain access to free information, counseling, a personalized quit plan, local quitting resources and quit kits. All Washington residents are eligible for free support, which may include free nicotine patches or gum.
If you're not ready to call the quit line, you can learn more by visiting www.quitline.com.
Not ready to quit?
Here are some simple things you can do to avoid harming the people close to you:
- Do not smoke around your children. Their lungs are still growing and they are more susceptible to the chemicals in tobacco smoke.
- Keep your home smoke-free. Tobacco smoke remains long after you have finished your cigarette, cigar, or pipe. When smoking outside the home, make sure you smoke away from other people and avoid smoking within 25 feet of doorways and open windows.
- Keep your car smoke-free—especially when passengers are present . If you need support to stop smoking, call the toll-free Washington Tobacco Quit Line at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or visit www.quitline.com.
Additional Quit Resources
- Become An Ex
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Tobacco Information and Prevention Source
- Surgeon General - 'You Can Quit Smoking' Consumer Guide
- American Lung Association
- American Cancer Society - Guide to Quitting Smoking
Last Updated: 03/28/13
This Web site contains information on the revised Clean Indoor Air Act (RCW 70.160). It is not legal advice. This information cannot be considered as a substitute for legal advice from and representation by a qualified attorney.
Reference in this Web site to any specific commercial products, process, service, manufacturer, or company does not constitute its endorsement or recommendation by the Department of Health (DOH). Links to external Web sites are provided because they may contain relevant information and resources. These external Web sites are not maintained by DOH and the Department takes no responsibility for the views that may be represented, or the accuracy, propriety, or legality of any material contained on the sites. Read More...